The 1898 Madison County Courthouse replaced the first courthouse, built in 1821. This elegant courthouse was the only courthouse in Missouri designed by the famous architect, Theodore Linke. The original cost was about $18,000. Over the years various remodeling efforts were made to the building. In 1988, the voters approved a sales tax to restore the courthouse to its 1898 elegance, at a cost of nearly two million dollars.
Our organization wrote the National Register nomination of the courthouse. On December 28, 2000, the Madison County Courthouse was placed on this prestigious federal register.
The post office at Fredericktown was built during The Great Depression in 1936-37. Fredericktown was one of some 1,100 towns across the U.S. to be selected to receive a New Deal post office, built from standardized plans by a federal architect. Within the building, a large mural entitled "The Lead Belt", created by James Baare Turnbull, hangs on the south wall. This mural depicts typical life in Madison County. Our organization researched and co-wrote the nomination. On October 8, 2009, the post office was placed on the National Register.
The Missouri Pacific Railroad Depot was built in 1918 to replace the original 1869 St. Louis, Iron Mountain and Southern Railroad Depot, which still stands today. Two Southeast Missouri State University students wrote the nomination of this depot as a class project, with the assistance of our organization. On February 10, 2000 the depot was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The current owner of the property is A. Paul Vance. The building houses the Vance Aviation and Transportation Museum.
Tours are available by appointment. Call 573-783-5885
Fredericktown was the transportation hub for many years in southeast Missouri, providing a means to move our vast lead ore and lumber to distant markets. After the 1918 depot was built, this depot fell into benign neglect. Our organization wrote the nomination for placement on the National Register of this building with the assistance of a student from Southeast Missouri State University. On October 19, 2005 this historic site was placed on the National Register.
The building is in dire need of restoration.
On July 9, 2009, a significant section of the Fredericktown business district was placed on the National Register. In March of 2010, MO Dot erected the coveted brown and white signs, guiding visitors to our historic downtown.